Friday, January 4, 2013

the year of DIY gifts

It's a story that I'm sure a lot of people can relate to - the holiday season seems to creep up on you, you put off Christmas shopping because you think you still have plenty of time, you keep telling yourself that TOMORROW you'll put up the tree...it goes on and on. Normally, I LOVE Christmas time. Especially with kids, I think the holidays are a super fun time. Well, this year was different. Maybe it was because I had a 6 week old baby. Maybe it was the major financial stress we've been under since moving back to So Cal. Maybe it was the fact that I could barely find time to change out of my pajamas, let alone decorate the house, bake cookies, and go buy a tree. Yeah, this year, I couldn't WAIT for Christmas to be over. And since we didn't have money to purchase gifts for our family and friends this year, I decided to make as many of the gifts as I could. (I know I could have done A LOT more than I did, but like I said, I don't have time, ya'll.) Although I did stay up all night one night baking Christmas cookies, one handed, while holding the baby...I can't put that guy down for more than a minute before he starts screaming. (I am anxiously awaiting for this phase to be over...)

Lemon Sugar Scrub (Great to exfoliate skin - all overy our body or just your hands)

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Lemon zest

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until a grainy paste forms. That's it! Super easy to make, and a great homemade gift for pretty much anyone. (Although I just gifted it to women...) This will fill about 3 of the glass jam jars.


More DIY gift ideas coming soon! Although I made these for Christnas, they can really be given throughout the year as desired. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment