Thursday, January 24, 2013

My Fat Story: Part 1

Now that I'm sitting down to write this, I don't know where to start!
I guess I should preface this with a few things...
I'm 26 years old, am engaged, and have 2 sons - 2 1/2 years old and 10 weeks old :)
I'm overweight - been that way my entire life, and I feel like I've been dieting my entire life.
My dad struggled with his weight when I was younger and changed his eating habits entirely and lost 60+ pounds and has kept it off for almost 20 years. My mom has never had a problem with weight - she is tall and thin and blonde. (and I hate her for it! Kidding, I promise!!)
My fiance is tall and skinny. I mean, super skinny. (Anyone watch Chelsea Lately? Well, Chuy weighs MORE THAN MY FIANCE - and my fiance is over 6' tall...) So let's just say he could stand to GAIN a few pounds, while I'd like to LOSE more than 100 POUNDS.
SO, this is my attempt to document my journey to FINALLY LOSE THE WEIGHT I'VE WANTED TO LOSE FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER. Hope you'll join me, and hopefully by this time next year, I'll be a member of the 100 Pound Club. (I'll post my stats soon - my battery just died on my scale and I haven't purchased a new one yet!)

Part 1

I had a great childhood. I am an only child and every Christmas I asked for a baby brother or sister, but I never got one. Looking back, I think I would have been a terrible older sister because I liked attention on ME. :)
I was born in 1986, 2 weeks overdue, and weighed over 9lbs. I was a chubby baby, but I'm told I was a happy one.

The first picture I remember looking at and thinking I was overweight was a picture taken of me in Kindergarten. (Hopefully one day I'll find it again and be able to post it here!)

In elementary school I was made fun of for being fat. I don't remember much about it, but my mom has told me that I'd come home crying and upset over things kids had said about me. I'm sure you can imagine some of the things they'd say. In my mind I knew I was overweight, but I guess I didn't "see" myself that way. I had lots of friends. I got invited to friend's birthday parties (most of the time). I was always in choir. I danced in the school talent show every year with my friends. I even had the guts to audition for the cheer team in elementary school - and MADE IT! I was on a competitive swim team. (The ONE sport I was actually good at and loved. Funny, since I had to wear a bathing suit to compete!)

At one point my mom and I went to a children's nutrition class at CHOC Hospital in Orange. I had to report back to my pediatrician about what I'd learned, how I was eating, and all that fun stuff.

I'm not going to get into the psychological issues that might have caused me to be overweight, or turn to food for comfort, or whatever, because honestly, I'm not a doctor. I don't know why I love food and why I feel like I can't control what I put in my mouth. Or maybe it's that I feel like that's all I can control? I don't know. Maybe one day I'll figure it out. This is purely my story from my perspective.

We always had healthy food in our house, and some not healthy options too. We didn't go to fast food restaurants often. My mom almost always cooked dinner, and yes, she always made me eat my veggies. On weekends when my dad wasn't working, we'd usually go to a restaurant for dinner and then to a movie. Sometimes we'd get candy, sometimes we wouldn't. I don't remember food being a huge issue.

What I do remember is kind of embarassing. I remember being excited to go to friends' houses because they usually had lots of junk food that I didn't have at home. I'd sneak into their kitchens to grab cookies or chips or whatever looked good that I didn't have access to in my own kitchen.

Life was good.
I was overweight but I felt happy most of the time. By middle school, kids weren't making fun of me as much.
My girlfriends and I discovered BOYS.

No comments:

Post a Comment