Friday, January 27, 2012

Homemade baby wipes...yep, I did.

While perusing the internet recently, I came across (what I thought) was an interesting idea - homemade baby wipes. I had never given much thought to baby wipes, although I do use them every day (how could you not with a 16 month old?). Our preferred brand? Up & Up from Target. For $13.69 I get a whopping 792 wipes, which last us, oh, about a month. A pretty good deal if you think about it. But if I can make it myself, why not??? Plus, by making it myself I a) fulfill my desire to do something crafty/homemade and b) can control what goes into the baby wipes, which are then used on my precious baby's most sensitive areas!
So, after searching for a few different recipes/formulas for baby wipes, I combined a few, and decided to give it a try. (Ok, I'm not gonna lie - I was mostly excited to buy a cute little container to house my new wipes, which I didn't end up finding...) Below is the "formula" I used to make the baby wipes.

Please excuse the striped wallpaper and hideous countertop - we are renting a house straight out of the 70s!
You will need:1 1/2 Tablespoons baby wash (You can use your favorite, or try one for sensitive skin)
1 Tablespoon baby oil
2 cups distilled water (After reading people's comments that had problems with mold growing, I found that distilled water should prevent mold.)
Few drops of hydrogen peroxide (This is optional - it can also prevent mold from growing in the container.)
Bounty select-a-size paper towels
A container with lid that the wips can fit into

Instructions:
1. Cut the paper towel roll in half to make 2 equal rolls (about the size of a toiler paper roll).
2. In the container that you will use for the wipes, add the baby wash and baby oil.
3. Add the distilled water to the container, mix well.
4. Place halved paper towel roll into the container cut side down. Cover with lid, turn upside down until the liquid has saturated the entire roll.
5. Turn right side up, remove lid, and pull out the cardboard center from the paper towel roll.

See? Like this :)
6. Voila! You have homemade baby wipes that work and smell great!!


Homemade baby wipes just waiting for a mess to clean up :) Maybe I could add some fabric to the container to make it chic?

No comments:

Post a Comment