Saturday, January 7, 2012

Boeuf anyone?

Alright, so I'm still trying to emerge from hibernation and begin blogging with some regularity. I'm learning to maneuver my new laptop, and eventually (hopefully) I will learn (or be able to understand at the very least) how to fix the format of the blog. But for now, I will share with you a classic recipe that I attempted for Christmas Eve dinner this year - Boeuf Bourguignon! A delicious classic that Julia Child introduced to us Americans many years ago.
Let's be honest - I love to cook, and I cook everyday for my man and our son, but cooking for guests? That's a little scary to me! ESPECIALLY for a holiday meal. Could I take it on all alone? I searched online for a recipe that I thought I could handle for this hearty almost-one-pot supper. I tweaked a few of the ingredients and a few of the steps...and whatdya know?! Dinner was DELISH! Boeuf Bourguignon (or if you prefer, BEEF Bourguignon) will now be a monthly (if not weekly!) staple in our home during the cold winter months.
Below is the recipe I came up with after combining a few of the more difficult recipes I found online...and voila! A picture for your enjoyment as well. :) Happy cooking!

Boeuf Bourguignon
Prep time: 30 min - Cook time: 3 hours
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 2 large carrots, sliced in rounds
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  • 6 ounces lean bacon cut into small pieces
  • 2 pounds of stew meat, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 bottle of red wine (I used an inexpensive Pinot Noir) 
  • 2 tablespoons mixed dried herbs (Try herbes de provence or fines herbes - very French!)
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled (You can remove this after cooking or leave it in like I did...because I forgot!)
  • 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • salt and pepper
Ingredients for Beurre ManiƩ (French for "kneaded butter")
  • 2 tablespoons softened butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, cook the onions and carrots in the oil on medium heat until soft, about 8 minutes.
  1. Add the bacon and continue cooking and stirring for 8 minutes.
  2. Add the meat and cook, turning several times, until browned on all sides. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper. Add the herbs, the garlic and the red wine. Cover, turn down the heat, and let simmer for at least two hours.
  3. After stew has cooked for about 2 hours, in another skillet, cook the mushrooms in the butter until soft and add to the stew along with the tomato paste. 
  4. Simmer until meat is very tender, this can take anywhere from 2-3 hours.
  5. Once meat has cooked, mix the butter and flour together in a small bowl until well blended. Blend in a tablespoon of the cooking liquid, and then stir this mixture back into the stew. Continue cooking for several minutes.

Serving suggestion: This would be delicious served over egg noodles or even mashed potatoes, however I chose to serve it with crusty French bread and a green salad with vinaigrette dressing.

My Boeuf Bourguignon - it was more delicious than this picture can show!

No comments:

Post a Comment