Monday, August 13, 2012

Fancy Name Casserole

Ok, so it's not THAT fancy. I found this recipe online a while ago and had been meaning to make it, but I just never did until recently. It's a twist on Chicken Cordon Bleu, which is just a fancy way of saying chicken stuffed with Swiss cheese and ham. I've never attempted to make the real thing, but I am pretty sure this casserole is WAY easier - and it has all the same flavors!
One day I'll learn to take prettier food pix...until then, just deal with it, kay? :)

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole (or you can call it, Fancy Name Casserole!)
Recipe adapted from here

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.

Spread 2 cups cooked rice in baking dish. (I used white rice but next time I'd try wild rice or brown rice for more flavor.) Season with salt and pepper.

On top of the rice, add 3 cups cooked chicken that has been shredded or chopped. (Shortcut: use a rotisserie chicken & chop that sucker up!)

Layer 6 slices of Swiss cheese on top of the chicken. Then add 10 slices or so (I used more) of chopped ham on top of the cheese.

In a large bowl, mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of anything soup), 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup sour cream, stir until combined. (I also added about 2 Tablespoons of Dijon mustard - it was yummy!!)

Pour soup mixture on top of ham.

Sprinkle top of casserole with 1 cup or so of seasoned bread crumbs.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 22-25 minutes or until nice and bubbly. (Since the casserole is sort of all one color, I served it with a nice green salad full of veggies. Or, you could add a layer of frozen mixed vegetables into the casserole for a one dish meal!)

And there ya have it! Hope ya'll enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment