Tuesday, August 14, 2012

beer cake, for the birthday boy.

Just 2 days ago it was the man's birthday. (Or should I say, MY man's birthday? I dunno, it sounds weird. His name is Eddie, he's my fiance, baby daddy, roommate...let's just call him The Man?) ANYWAY...he said all he wanted was a CD. Well, that's just boring. (Of course he got the CD, but my mom gave it to him...I wanted something a little more fun.)
Let's just say The Man loves beer. Not surprising. He doesn't love cake. Once in a while he'll get a hankerin' for something sweet, but overall I'd say he prefers beer to cake. I came across this idea online & thought it sounded super easy (which it KIND OF was) & super creative, so I went for it.


The picture is pretty self explanatory I think...since he turned 31, I bought a 30 pack of beers (needs to be cans so they will stack, obvi!) and I bought 1 nicer beer in a bottle for the top. This took a little bit of planning beforehand to make sure I had the right configuration to use all the beers, and to make sure I could stack them. I think I used 15 cans for the bottom layer, 10 for the middle layer, and 5 for the top (plus 1 bottle). To help support the cans, I cut out a round piece from the box the beers came in, and placed them on top of each layer. After I had stacked the beers, I tied ribbon around each layer. (Is this making any sense?? Just go with it...) I added a few finishing touches (a bow on top and a balloon...The Man speaks Spanish and it's kind of a joke for us, hence the Feliz Cumpleanos balloon...) and voila! BEER CAKE! The Man was definitely surprised & excited when he woke up on his birthday morning to find this on our dining room table. Thankfully the beers were warm, otherwise I'm sure he'd have grabbed a beer & popped it open (Breakfast Beers were very popular in my college days...lol).

And for that sweet tooth? Just in case he felt like he was missing out, I made him a donut sundae for breakfast...

I got the idea for this at our local fair. Glazed donut, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, sprinkles, a cherry, and a candle! I think this is going to be our new tradition for birthday mornings - it was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment