Saturday, December 10, 2011

Chicken Florentine

Recently I rediscovered an old recipe I had grown up loving. As I was sorting through my seemingly endless piles of recipes, I came across a small piece of paper that held the magical recipe for one of my favorite childhood dinners - chicken florentine! (Seeing as this was the ONLY way I would eat spinach as a child, my mom made this recipe MANY times.) It's relatively simple to make, most ingredients I already have on hand, and everyone loves it (bonus!). So I've decided to share it with the internet-universe. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Chicken Florentine - serves 4

4 bunches fresh spinach or 2 (10 oz.) packages frozen chopped spinach
2 chicken breasts, boned and skinned
1/4 lb (1 cube) butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper (or you can use black pepper, it's up to you!)
1 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Flour for dredging

Place fresh spinach in a large pot and let wilt down over low heat. Cool, squeeze dry, and chop. If using frozen spinach, thaw and squeeze dry. Spread on bottom of buttered au gratin or 9" Pyrex dish. Halve each chicken breast. Cut each piece in half horizontally to make 8 thin chicken steaks. Melt butter in shallow pan. Dredge each piece of chicken lightly in flour, then in butter, and place on top of spinach - one layer only. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with whipping cream and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until just done. May be prepared the day before and refrigerated until ready to bake.

Voila!

Do you have any favorite recipes that you've recently rediscovered?

No comments:

Post a Comment