Friday, December 9, 2011

1 Month = 1 Organized Home.

I am constantly trying to organize things in my home. Not only does this never actually happen, but I never seem to have the time to organize everything that needs organizing. So...I came across a plan that I modified to fit my life, which I encourage you to do the same! Breaking down the house into separate days makes the entire job seem much more "do-able". So, I give you, 1 Month = 1 Organized Home. (Feel free to adjust each day as necessary. I have a child, so I included his room on this list.)

RULES
Each day, grab a trash bag (or grocery/shopping bag) and get to work at the destination listed. Fill the bag with as many things as you can part with. At the end of the month, you will donate all the bags for a good cause, and your home will be organized! Think how warm and fuzzy you'll feel. :)

DAY
1. Junk drawer (wherever this beast may be hidden).
2. Utensil drawer in kitchen
3. Pantry
4. Under kitchen sink
5. Fridge (okay, maybe we won't donate these things at the end of the month, but at least you'll have a clean fridge!)
6. Spice rack/cupboard
7. Desk drawers/office
8. Closet (my clothes...remember the rule - if you haven't worn it in 1 year, it's time to GO!)
9. Closet (shoes)
10. Closet (his clothes. If you don't live with a significant other, take this time to go through your closet again!)
11. Dresser drawers
12. Nightstand drawer/shelf
13. TV cabinet (those DVDs you'll never watch again?)
14. Jewelry drawer
15. Makeup bag/Nail polish (I think the same rule applies as the clothing rule - if you haven't worn/used it in a year, toss it! If it's makeup, it's probably gone bad anyway.)
16. My bathroom drawers/cabinet
17. Guest cloest/child's closet
18. Child's shoes (or your own shoes, stored in the guest room or your child's closet!)
19. Playroom toys/child's toys (if you don't have a playroom or a child, then take a free day!)
20. Hall cupboard/Linen closet
21. Craft stuff (now THIS might be a 2 day chore...)
22. Bathroom drawer
23. Laundry room cupboards
24. Candy drawer (or ANY junk food - evaluate why you bought it in the first place.)
25. Garage shelves (if you don't have a garage, choose a space that hasn't been covered already.)
26. General garage (anything pertaining to your car or your transportation.)
27. My car (again, if you don't have a car, choose a space that hasn't been covered already.)
28. Car center console (or go through your junk drawer AGAIN...it got that name for a reason...)
29. Cookbook cupboard (do you REALLY need that outdated health cookbook that you've NEVER opened?)
30. Entryway closet (or any space near your front door.)

There you have it! After 30 days, you should have accumulated a nice amount of loot to donate to your local Goodwill, Salvation Army, or other cause that will accept your items. Another great idea would be to hold a garage sale, then donate your earnings to a charity that is important to you. There truly is no greater gift than to GIVE.
I will personally be starting this tomorrow. I know I have way more than I need, and more than I can even appreciate. I can't wait to see how many goodies I come up with to donate!
For anybody that is still reading...do you have any ideas for organizing? I need them! I am a habitual collector of miscellaneous items, and I long for a more organized home!

No comments:

Post a Comment